Sunday, March 30, 2014

Beauty: Body Scrubs (TORONTO EDITION!)

With the looooooooonnnnnnnnng and never-ending winter, my skin is constantly dry; even if I bath in lotion for a night, my body will just absorb it all and still be dry. I used to use the bigger brand body scrubs back in the day, LUSH and the Body Shop, but I've recently really been into a more healthier approach for my skin. Been looking for more natural and, if available, organic local skincare. Do remember, your skin is your biggest organ and treating it with love is what will benefit you in the long run! 

As a girl from Toronto, I have tried three different local brands for salt and/or sugar scrubs for my body. So far, I've been enjoyed all three - but, each are very distinctly different that different people will probably prefer certain elements in a body scrub! 


LOVE FRESH Sugar Scrub ($30 CND)

LOVE FRESH was the first sugar scrub that has been hyped and used in many nail spas (e.g., TEN SPOT, Sekai Beauty Bar, etc.). The brand is very well-known and have been expanding quickly over the last few years. I believe you can find LOVE FRESH body products in Toronto Indigo/Chapter stores now! 

This scrub is very delicate for your skin. I really enjoy using this scrub more in the summer, since my skin isn't as dry. AND the scents - they are so summer-like and fruity, it's PERFECT for the warm weather. 

The only downfall that I found with this scrub is that it is not as mositurizing as I hope it would be. I would always have to use copious amount of body butter afterwards to ensure my skin is properly moisturized after scrubbing. 

Definitely recommend this scrub for those who have oily-normal skin type. And it's definitely going to be my summer go-to scrub for now on. 

I have tried a few of their scents so far - Key Lime Coconut Scrub, Pear, and Lemon Verbena. 

Consonant Skincare Skin Perfecting Body Scrub ($30 CND) - photo coming soon!

I recently picked this scrub up when I walked by a FUZZ Wax Bar location and saw a big chalkboard sign promoting soft skin for scrubbing. And I'm so glad I picked this scrub up, because this is what I needed after this long winter. Consonant is another all-natural skincare brand located in Toronto. 

The scrub is a mix of sugar and salt, giving two different dimensions of scrubbing for your skin. Usually salt is more coarse than sugar, giving it a more deeper scrub. What I really like about this scrub is the way my skin feels afterwards. You have to give this scrub a quick stir before you use it in your shower, because the oils separate from the sugar and salt. The main oils in this scrub are coconut oil and olive oil, which explains the separation. But, right when you step out of the shower, it leaves your skin feeling moisturized. I just used a lotion afterwards for extra moisture. 

Be aware that the salt scrub may be too abrasive for those with extremely sensitive skin, even with all the oils mixed along with this product. My skin turns slightly red after using this product that goes away after about 30 minutes. 

Crawford Street Skincare Grapefruit Mint Salt Body Scrub ($10 CND) - photo coming soon!


Crawford Street Skincare can be found in a few local stores across Toronto, as well as their online store. This is just a salt scrub and the scent is very energizing; great for your morning shower to wake you up before the day. A good scrub for the price (you do get a fraction of the other two mentioned above), but I'm debating whether or not to repurchase this item since my skin tends to be more on the sensitive side and this may be too abrasive to my skin in the long run. Along with this, it is very messy; it's literally digging your hands in a pile of salt. I think this scrub will be perfect for dry skin if you mix some oils (e.g., olive oil) to the scrub before you apply it to your skin.

What are you using to scrub off this winter?

<3

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment